Writing an email shouldn’t induce panic and send you on a one-way trip to procrastination station! Too many entrepreneurs spin their wheels on their weekly emails to the point of not doing them very well or not doing them at all!
Writing and producing content on a regular basis can be a challenge for most entrepreneurs and a good chunk of my business has been creating engaging and original content for small business owners.
People typically struggle with two things: finding their unique voice and finding the time to actually sit down and hammer out the copy.
I have been using this simple step-by-step approach since my days in a newsroom writing stories and generating 4 ‘original’ ideas a day!
Step 1 – Write a stand our subject line. Don’t try to be too clever. This is your chance to pique your readers’ interest in the inbox and entice them to open your message.
- No requests.
- Avoid 1-word subject lines
- Don’t beg for attention
- Don’t make it sound like its generic or automated
- Avoid ALL CAPS
- No false scarcity or urgency
- Don’t try to be too cute or clever
Step 2 – Add a pre-header – a line of text that appears beneath the subject line in the mobile inbox. It is the first line in your email body text. Think of it as an extension of your subject line. No more than 6-11 words to catch your reader’s attention.
- Pretend a friend is asking you “Hey what are you going to write about today?”
- Answer in 1 simple sentence that is crystal clear.
Step 3 – Pretend that same friend is asking you to tell her more. Answer in 5 simple short sentences.
- Use bullets. Readers are most likely skimming.
Step 4 – Include 1 call-to-action.
- Position your call-to-action towards the top of your email so that it’s visible and doesn’t readers to scroll.
Step 5 – Add 2 sentences to each of the 5 sentences. Add details and some color!
- On average, emails with less than 20 lines of text see the highest click-through rates.
Step 6 – Proof. Edit. Format.
Step 7 – Send.
- Remember that research shows that the best days to send are Tuesday and Thursday and times vary between 6am, 10am, 2pm, 8pm. I personally have had the best open rates with 6am and 8pm.
- I highly recommend you use an ESP like Convert Kit to manage you email campaigns. IT is simple, robust and allows you to easily segment your audience and set up automations. ConvertKit also has a cool feature that lets you resend your email to people who didn’t open it the first time.
Kellie-Ann Briand is a Business and Marketing Strategist who helps people CULTIVATE THEIR GREATNESS by starting and growing online businesses. She is also the creator of The Accidental Entrepreneur – a brand dedicated to teaching women who to make he money they want, doing what they love in an online business model they choose!
♥ Please join The Accidental Entrepreneur Facebook Group! ♥